Tuesday, November 24, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FORREST J. ACKERMAN!









When I was a little boy, I remember going to the newsstand with my dad. There, among the typical magazines was tucked away a magazine, whose cover I could barely see, but I plucked it off the newsstand, and lo and behold my life would change forever, it was Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, the creation of the ultimate fanboy, Forrest J. Ackerman! Forrest J. Ackerman, also known as Mr. Science Fiction, 4SJ, Uncle Forry, Dr. Ackula, the Ackermonster, among many others, was born November 24th, 1916, and went on to create possibly the most influential and often copied monster magazine the world has even known. I was the ultimate Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine fan (still owning a nice collection of back issues), and in turn becoming a fan of Uncle Forry himself. I eventually grew to admire Forrest for his passion for monster and sci-fi movies. In fact, Forrest is actually credited as coining the phrase "sci-fi". Forrest J. Ackerman and Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine went on to be one of the single most influential sources to many a filmmaker, including, but not limited to, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, John Landis, Rick Baker, among many others. Forrest sadly passed away last December 8th, but he will forever live in the hearts of monster movie fans. Read all about Forrest's life on his Wikipedia page. Happy Birthday Forrest, you will forever be loved and missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment