Tuesday, February 16, 2010

THE WOLFMAN movie review



I usually don't do movie reviews, and I usually keep my opinions of films to myself, since I do realize that everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes when it comes to movies, but I thought I'd share this one.
I learned long ago that if I were to ever watch a remake, there is no way I could go into it and expect to compare it to the original. I've seen some very bad remakes in my life, and the fact that I compared it to the original film only escalated my dislike for the remake, so now I watch remakes with no expectations and with a fresh approach, as if it were a movie or story I have never seen or heard.
With that being said, I watched The Wolfman on Sunday, and I absolutely loved it! Yes, there are many elements of the original 1941 The Wolf Man, starring Lon Chaney Jr. in it, the main story of Lawrence Talbot returning to England, being bitten by a werewolf, and in turn becoming one himself is still intact, but they have added many elements to the story, and the film definitely benefits from it. The movie was beautifully filmed, the cinematography was amazing, and the score written by Danny Elfman (a personal inspiration to me) was fantastic. The cast, Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt and the rest, were great and the acting all around was top notch.
I have always been a huge fan of Rick Baker's make-up work (look for his cameo in the film), ever since An American Werewolf In London, and his work on The Wolfman is no exception, it was brilliant! I was expecting to see way too much CGI work, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much traditional make-up was used as opposed to CGI work. Of course the transformation scenes were mostly CGI (as you can see in the trailers) but once the transformations are complete, it's pretty much Benicio in full-on Wolfman make-up. I really loved how they kept the make-up true to Universal tradition, having borrowed from the original Lon Chaney Jr.'s Wolfman as well as Hammer's The Curse Of The Werewolf. I don't want to give too much away, but I truly enjoyed The Wolfman, so much in fact that I would love to see it again! They did a magnificent job with this film, in every aspect..again, this is my opinion, but I do have to say, if you are a fan of the classic Universal horror films and the Hammer films, then you would most likely enjoy The Wolfman! I will warn the faint of heart, it is quite gruesome and bloody at times, so be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment